Monday, June 25, 2012

For the Love of Summer

The second week of being a camp counselor has begun!  Camp has definitely had it's ups and downs already.  It's sad to know that some of these kids come from difficult backgrounds and there is only so much we can do for them, but showing them God's love is a great first step!

Today was one of the more rough days I've had with the kids.  Today seemed to be filled with me constantly trying to talk over the kids, telling them twenty times to stop throwing rocks during group time, and reminding them that I don't deal with "girl drama."  Oh, the girl drama.  Sometimes I feel like I hear "she's talking about me" and "she doesn't want to be my friend" about one hundred times a day!  So our number one rule right now in the White Tigers (my group name for my lively bunch of second graders) is no girl drama!  (Unfortunately, the two boys I have in my group get to hear this over and over every day!)

Even after being a counselor at Recess last summer, I forgot how exhausting it can be.  Today was probably the coolest day we've had at camp so far, yet the kids still reminded me all day how hot they all were.  I didn't have the heart to tell them that it's supposed to be 104 degrees later this week!

While playing games today, I realized my kids must not learn about geography in school after they explained they had been out of the United States by going to Washington DC, California, and Tennessee.  At least one of my girls said that she had been to Mexico -- I guess I'm bringing a map to utilize during game time from now on!

I love working as a Recess counselor and being able to make an impact in these kids' lives every day for Jesus.  Now to figure out how we're going to keep from melting later this week with the outrageous heat index...!?

Aside from being at camp everyday, I am REALLY enjoying my free evenings!  During the school year, I never had the opportunity to leisurely read or work on art projects between coming up with decent poetry/fiction pieces and writing extensive papers on the religious implications of Moby Dick.  But I have been visiting the library weekly, checking out cheesy teen novels and reading like crazy and throwing together fun art pieces at my overloaded art desk.  I've also been thinking about what to include on my syllabus for my college composition class I'm teaching in the fall -- oh, and working on my personally designed wedding programs and other wedding related items!

I am LOVING this summer!  I get to hang out with kiddos and do what I do best -- read, write, create art!

No comments:

Post a Comment