Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Freedom of Summer


Since I've had some time off from school, I've been working on art projects like crazy!  I've had many people tell me that creating art is too expensive, but I've definitely got some tips for getting in touch with your creative side on a small budget.

When I'm in the creative mood, I often take trips to Goodwill and Dollar Tree.  Art can be made out of anything and I can often be found scouring all of the Goodwill stores around Michiana for anything that can be used in my collage art sketchbooks or elsewhere.  I recently picked up some old records from Goodwill for 25 cents a piece, threw a little paint on them, and made a fun/retro wall piece.

Just a little acrylic paint, art sponges, yarn, and super glue.
Dollar Tree is a host of wonderful art project ideas.  I just picked up some multi-colored foam picture frames, alphabet stickers, colored cardstock sheets, and pre-cut pieces of wood -- and each thing is only a dollar.  It might look kind of kid-ish, but I took a few different colored foam frames and taped some of my favorite photographs to them.  I finished them off with some fun stickers and some stick-on magnets I bought at Walmart for 97 cents.  They look cute on my fridge!


I'm getting very excited about my upcoming wedding and Justin and I beginning our lives together.  I decided to make a little sign for our new apartment we are moving to in October.  I bought a pre-cut wood piece and alphabet stickers from Dollar Tree and some ribbon from Walmart combined with my collection of acrylic paints.  Can't wait to hang it on our door!

Soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. Samson.
I also had the chance to work on some photography this week when my brother came to visit.  Justin and I took Tyler fishing at River Walk and I got a good photography session in.  It was an absolutely beautiful day outside -- a great day to spend with my brother and fiance and work on my photography skills with my Canon Rebel.

Capturing the river rocks in my lenses.

2 comments:

  1. Ed and I love to garage sale and use old things and repurpose them for new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! One person's junk is another person's treasure :)

    ReplyDelete