Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bringing it All Together

As a writer, I've always been told to practice writing wherever and whenever possible, blogging included.  I journal daily, jot poetry notes in my notebook with little multi-colored typewriters on the front, write tiny fiction pieces, but I've never blogged.  So here I am.

What is this blog about, you may ask?  I'm not sure.  My life, I suppose.  It's an opportunity for me to share what's going on in my brain and to practice my trade.  Sounds good to me.

About a week ago, I finished a memoir that I have been working on for the past two years.  (Not consecutively...I would work on it like crazy for two months and then not look at it for the next six).  But it's finally completed.  Almost six years ago (my senior year of high school), my father was involved in an accident that nearly took his life and the memoir recalls how our family dealt with the circumstances, how we watched my father come out of a coma and undergo rehabilitation, and how God ultimately healed him.  I'm giving the finished piece to my dad for Father's Day next Sunday.

The finished product!

Since my first year of graduate school ended in May (and I'm not taking summer classes, yay!) I've had more time to work on things that I love and enjoy.  (I definitely needed some peace after working full-time and working on my masters full-time during the spring semester).  Firstly, Justin and I are getting married in four months!!!  This means wedding plans are underway and it's starting to get down to the wire.  In the past couple weeks, Justin and I have gotten our invitations printed, labeled, and ready to be mailed out in August!  And did I mention I have my dress!?  I can't wait for October to get here.  I feel like we've waited forever for this and it's finally time to start our lives together as Mr. and Mrs. Samson.

But when August comes around, things are going to get busy.  I'm starting my new job in the fall teaching English composition at IU South Bend!  I can't wait!  Plus, I will be starting my second year of graduate school full-time and will be finishing up wedding plans and eventually going on my honeymoon.  It's going to be busy, but I'm loving it!  Wouldn't have it any other way.



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. You have a nice writing style. We have something in common. I like to write too. I have a small collection of poetry and I've been keeping a journal lately of just activities from the day or something I have written to friends in emails. I'm hoping Dan and I can come to your wedding in October. Have a great week! --Donna

    ReplyDelete