Friday, June 15, 2012

My Summer at Camp

The past couple days have been spent preparing for Recess at my church!  This is my second year as a counselor for the Recess summer day camp program and I'm so excited to be a part of it.  Yesterday was an overview of what to expect at Recess for all staff members and volunteers and today was set aside as training for the staff members.  We worked together to assemble tents and set up tables and benches and I definitely found myself wondering how I managed to survive the heat last summer!

It was a HOT morning!

I enjoyed getting to know our two new counselors who attended the training this morning and hearing what changes were made for the program this year.  (Luckily, we will be making our own food this year!  No more slimy cafeteria food!)  I'm so glad my fiance is a part of Recess this summer as a staff member -- he will have a blast with the kids and see what an impact they can have on us as counselors.

Last summer was truly a life-changing experience for me.  The kids were a blast to get to know and spend time with and the staff members all became as close as a family.  God was truly at work with the Recess program in 2011 and I can't wait to see what He has in store this year!

This year I'm the counselor for the 1st and 2nd grade kids!  Recess starts at 10:00 on Monday and goes for eight weeks.

It's going to be a long, hot summer requiring lots of patience and perseverance, but it's so worth it.

Some Recess 2011 staff enjoying an evening at the beach after a long day at camp.  Jennae, me, Meredith (Recess director), and Michael (one of the counselor's kids).


No comments:

Post a Comment