Friday, July 20, 2012

Past & Future

We just finished up a fun (and long) week 5 of Recess.  I've had a good week with the kids even amongst the storms and unbearable heat.  On Tuesday, we took the kids on school bus (that felt like it was 200 degrees) to Coveleski Stadium in South Bend for a tour of the facilities.  While I adore baseball and would have normally loved a field trip like this, it was entirely too hot and miserable to enjoy it.  The kids were all feeling bad from the heat and couldn't even sit in the plastic chairs at the field because they felt like they were on fire.  Wednesday we had storms during the day and had to take shelter inside the church for awhile.  The kids didn't mind -  we played their favorite game, silent ball, until the rain stopped.

On Wednesday, Justin and I had another premarital counseling meeting with our wedding officiate and good friend, Lowell, and his wife, Katie.  We had dinner together downtown at Fiddler's Hearth and had great food and conversation.  Justin and I are having our wedding ceremony and reception at the Scottish Rite in downtown South Bend, but neither Lowell or Katie had seen it before, so we took them over to see the building after dinner.  They really wanted to see the inside, so the four of us went and buzzed in at the front door hoping someone would be there.  Not only was someone there, but the two men who greeted us showed us the chapel, the reception area, and then proceeded to give us an entire tour of the Scottish Rite building!  It was fun to see and hear about all the history contained in that building.  We found out it was built in 1927 and was the largest building in South Bend at the time.  I'm so glad Justin and I chose to have our special day there!  And our wedding will be here before we know it.  I know I say it all the time, but I can't wait to be his wife!

One of my favorite photos of Justin and I.  This was during my junior year of college.
 Yesterday I did something that I have never done before - spent 6 hours in a movie theatre.  My best friend is a Batman fanatic and couldn't wait to see the midnight premiere of "The Dark Knight Rises."  She drove all the way from Fort Wayne to see it with me, Justin, and our friend, Josh, at Showplace 16, but of course we had to get their early to avoid lines and get good seats.  We got there around 9:30 and, as it turned out, were the only ones in our theatre until about 30 minutes before the movie started.  But it was worth it; nothing like sitting in a movie theatre for 6 hours making memories with friends!

My best friend, Deanne, and I have known each other since we were 12.  We went to middle school, high school, and college together (and shared a dorm for 4 years) and got our first apartment together as adults after graduating from college.  We've had some awesome, wonderful, crazy times together, and next weekend we are planning a road trip to Iowa to pick up her 1963 Ford Fairlane from her grandparents house.  I'm not sure if it will top our week-long spring break in North Carolina during our senior year of college or our trip to Boston last August, but it will definitely be an adventure. 

Also, the preview for the latest issue of Bewildering Stories came out this week and my poetry is featured in it!  Check it out here:  http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue487/487index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment