Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sweet & Sour

I got to go to two of my little brother's baseball games on Tuesday in Lakeville!  I love watching him play and he even got to come back with me and stay at my place afterward.  I love our little visits, even if it's for a short period of time because he has baseball practice/games all the time.  (Did I mention I love baseball!?)  Baseball has been such a huge part of my life growing up.  Not only have I played softball since I was old enough to stand, but I traveled all around the United States with my family as a kid attending my older brother's travel baseball games.  Now I'm watching my little brother play high school and travel ball and I can't believe how fast the time has gone!  When did my baby brother turn into a high school sophomore!?

So in the time that Justin and I have been together, our families have been able to avoid meeting each other.  (My little brother has actually met Justin's family on several occasions when he would come to visit me).  On Wednesday, my family (mom, dad, and two brothers) came over to Justin's mom and dad's house and we all had lunch together.  Justin was very nervous, but I think it turned out to be a great get-together.  There was laughter and, of course, plenty of stories about us when we were kids from our parents.  I'm so glad this happened now and not at the wedding which is 3 months away!  As Justin keeps saying, "doomsday averted."

This week at Recess has been almost unbearable.  With the heat advisory, I've been in survival mode all week.  Fortunately, my group got to go to Central Fire Station on Tuesday for a field trip (and a break from the heat) and they had a blast.  (I'm not going to lie, I think I had just as much fun as they did!)  A fireman took us on a tour of the entire building and then the kids got to climb through one of the fire engines and try on some of the equipment.  It was a good day and two of my kids told me they wanted to be firefighters after we left!  I looked in the rear view mirror on the way back to the church and saw 12 kids with red plastic firefighter hats with elastic chin straps...oh to be a kid again.


Photo: Our Recess kids got to visit the Central Fire Station yesterday and today.  I think we may have some aspiring firefighters in our midst.
My Recess kids enjoying their time at the fire station.

I can't believe we are finishing up the third week of camp.  On Tuesday, one of my boys was crying because he didn't get picked during a game.  Another kid in my group went up to him, put his arm around him, and said we could play the game again later and that he would help him work on his art project.  It was so sweet to see him speak kind words to a fellow camper.  Jesus is at work here!  During faith station today, my kids were asking tons of questions about Jesus while we ate Sour Patch Kids to show how God can change people.  (The candy goes from sour to sweet, just as God can change us into something new!)  I'm so happy to see these kids so engaged and ready to learn every day.   


No comments:

Post a Comment