Thursday, December 11, 2014

New Poetry

I submitted to a literary journal called Lost Coast Review a few months ago and just heard back from the editor today.  They accepted all five poems in my submission for publication which is very exciting!  This particular submission contained a very interesting group of poems, poems that truly speak to some personal experiences in my life on all areas of the spectrum - joy, sadness, love, admiration, camaraderie...

The link for the Lost Coast Review website is here:
http://www.lostcoastreview.com/

Their website describes the journal as being "culture, philosophy, and literature from the left coast."  Read some of the material on this site from other great poets and writers - you won't be disappointed.  The journal publishes online in Amazon Kindle format and in print.  So what are you waiting for?  Check it out!

The poems in this submission to Lost Coast Review were written during the summer months of 2014 when I was immersed in the poetry of Sylvia Plath and the novels and short stories of JD Salinger. 

I can't wait to see this particular group of poems in print together, their relationship to one another complicated, yet necessary - a small snapshot of my life.

The first poem, "After My Birth," contemplates childhood and growing into a young woman. 

"Edema" is a poem representing the frailty of life.  It is a poem that remembers my grandmother and honors my best friend in the midst of a serious illness.

"Marriage of Two Poets" reflects my summer spent reading the works of Sylvia Plath.  This poem is for her and about her and imagines her fascinating marriage relationship with poet, Ted Hughes.

"Nervous Tissue" was written at the very beginning of the many life changes that have taken place in the past six months and our move to Ohio.  This poem is about trusting God.

And, finally, the poem "Passenger" is my favorite from this submission.  This poem is about my brother and me being in the passenger seat for the first time.  I was always taking care of him as a kid, but this poems recalls the moment I realized the roles reversed.  

These poems will be an upcoming issue of Lost Coast Review.  In the meantime, get out there and read some poetry!  Check out small presses, literary journals, and magazines.  Start writing yourself!

As Sylvia Plath once said, "I write only because / there is a voice within me / that will not be still."

No comments:

Post a Comment