Thursday, June 6, 2013

On Writing & Friendship

As my husband started a new job at the beginning of May, I chose to take the summer to focus on my writing.  If you know me very well, you know that writing is my passion.  I want to be an established writer, so I decided to focus this summer on submitting my writing to various literary journals and to continue expanding my writing portfolio.  I'm proud to say that I've been submitting like crazy and try to write something new on a daily basis.  I've also tried to expand my writing skills and have been focusing on writing some fiction and short stories alongside my poetry.  It's been a good summer so far, but all that time spent alone writing gives me a lot of time to think. 

One thing that has been on my mind not only this summer, but this entire year, has been my best friend, Dee.  As I wrote in my last blog post, she has been dealing with a brain tumor for the past year and just recently had three major brain surgeries.  Dee is such an outgoing, bubbly person that it has been so hard for me to watch her go through all this for the past year. 

Dee and I met when we were in the seventh grade and have been inseparable since then.  I remember the day she asked me what college I had decided to go to.  I told her IUSB and she said she had never heard of it but that she was going to go there so that we could go through college together.  She's always been so fun and spontaneous.  We roomed together all through our college years and then got an apartment together after graduation.  She was my maid of honor in my wedding.  Honestly, I think we are sisters that were switched at birth.  (Oddly enough, we were born at the same hospital three weeks apart). 

And on Tuesday Dee traveled to Indianapolis with her mom and step dad to have a checkup with her neurosurgeon.  Her step dad called me after the appointment to give me some very sad news about Dee's prognosis.  I am completely heartbroken after hearing the news, but I am still relying on God and trying to stay positive and hopeful.  I talked with Dee on Tuesday night and hearing her positivity and faithfulness is truly inspirational.  I am praying and I hope you will join me in praying for a miraculous healing for Dee.  I have faith that God is in control and am praying boldly for a miracle. 

I've learned to never take any day for granted and to appreciate every moment you get to spend with the ones you love.  I'm thankful for the time I have this summer to focus on my writing and also for the time I get to spend with my family and friends.   

No comments:

Post a Comment