Friday, June 28, 2013

More on Summer

Despite walking at the graduation ceremony in May, my technical graduation (when they send me my diploma) doesn't happen until August.  This is because I'm still finishing up my thesis, the huge project at the end of your masters that you must complete to graduate.  IU South Bend's English MA program offers two concentrations to their students - literature and creative writing.  Mine, of course, was creative writing.  Most students completing a creative writing thesis do so by writing a novella, a collection of short stories, or a collection of poetry.  I decided I wanted to write a "narrative collage." 

This is really a fabricated term for a genre where authors combine imagery with written text.  My "narrative collage" developed into a story about a girl caring for her younger brother as told through small columns of written text and anatomical images and diagrams.  Back in April, I proposed my idea to a committee in the English department, they approved it, and I began working on what would become an 85-page project.  I also had to complete a "context essay" to accompany my project discussing the history of the genre and my writing process while working on the project.  That came out around 22 pages.  Both have been read over by my committee and approved to move on to the next step - my defense.  Thankfully, this will happen much sooner than I anticipated.  I'm scheduled to "defend" my thesis next Tuesday (July 2nd) and if all goes well, I will officially be finished with my masters degree.

I am excited to return to teaching this fall as a non-student.  Juggling teaching and graduate school wasn't always easy, and I'm glad that I'll be able to put all my energy into teaching this upcoming semester.  And I'm definitely glad to have this summer free as I will need the healing time. 

After an injury back in 2006 (long story), I have had three surgeries on my hand to restore function and mobility.  Unfortunately, it's never really gotten any better and after seeing several doctors in the area who suggested treatment options that didn't help, I decided to return to my original doctor/surgeon two hours away.  To make a long story short, I'm having surgery on July 9th to fuse the MCP joint in my hand.  This will eliminate all of the problems I've been having over the years (my last surgery was in 2008)!  Although I'm not overly enthused about having yet another surgery and spending my summer vacation in a cast, I will be so happy when it's all healed up and I can return to normal life. 

Today is Friday!  That means it's date night for Justin and I.  I'm going to try to get some writing done before he gets home and finish prepping for my defense on Tuesday.  Wish me luck!

By the way, did I mention Vampire Weekend's new album is amazing!?  Go listen to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment