Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Music & Writing

This summer has been a productive one so far.  I made a promise to myself that I would focus on writing this summer and I've stuck to it.  Aside from writing a bunch of new poetry, I've been submitting to various literary journals and magazines in an attempt to get published.  I'm also compiling a file of what I see as my "best" poetry for possible poetry collection submissions later on to some smaller presses. 

I've definitely been in writing mode this past month and I've been loving it.  I've got a stack of journals that I carry around with me in case an idea pops up in my head at any given moment.  And I've got some nice pens (a writer always needs a nice pen).  I've been typing everything up, revising, and then looking for literary journals that fit my writing style.  The Poets & Writers website (www.pw.org) has been EXTREMELY helpful during this process.  They have numerous databases that list every small press and literary magazine/journal you could think of. 

Apart from writing, I've been trying to catch up on my reading list and have been trying to expand my music library.  (It always helps me to listen to good music when I'm looking for ideas for writing or just needing to get into writing mode).  My current music obsessions?  Vampire Weekend, Benjamin Gibbard, The Black Keys, fun, Foster the People...and the list goes on.  I've also become a collector of vinyls.  Justin and I went to Urban Outfitters the other day and they have an amazing selection of vinyls featuring new artists.  Too bad they go for $25 or more when I can stock up on classic artists at vintage shops for much less! 

I managed to pick up a Dean Martin vinyl yesterday at the Salvation Army (my husband is a huge fan of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Sammy Davis Jr.).  I've never visited the scary looking Salvation Army in downtown South Bend, but it was actually very cool.  Not only did they have a ton of records to sort through, but they had a ton of typewriters.  (Unfortunately they were all electric).  I'm looking to collect a few vintage typewriters.  Does anyone out there have one to donate to a new writer?

On top of everything else this summer, Justin and I did our first official DJ gig at a wedding reception a couple weekends ago.  We are looking to actually get into it as a side business.  If you are interested or know anyone that is interested, let us know!  We are affordable and work hard to make sure every detail of the reception is perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment