Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Life is Good

There are many changes coming up fast in my life.  This past week, I've tried to get organized and prepared for some of the changes ahead.  For starters, I have training coming up next week for my teaching job starting August 27th!  To prepare for the training, I've been asked to put together a preliminary version of a syllabus for my class and it's been more work than I thought it would be!  I always hated getting a 10-page syllabus for a class in college, but mine is shaping up to be quite long once all of the required university policies are included alongside the grading scale, course goals, assignment descriptions, etc.  I'm hoping the two training sessions I will be attending will be help me narrow down my syllabus and prepare me to teach my first-ever college course!

This past week also led me to start doing one of my least favorite things ever - packing.  When my best friend and I moved into the apartment I still live in over a year ago, I vowed never to move again after how much hard work we put into it.  But here I am, two months from my wedding day and less than a month away from when Justin and I can start remodeling our new apartment in Mishawaka and moving things over there.  It's almost a surreal feeling, but I'm so happy about the exciting adventures Justin and I are about to share together as newlyweds.  Lowell and Katie (our friends and soon-to-be landlords) are letting us replace the carpet, remodel the kitchen, and paint which all need to be done before we can start moving things over!  I'm excited for Justin and I to take on this project together and it make it our new home.  Getting all of my stuff and his over there is a different story!  Did I mention I hate moving!?  Since I left for college when I was 18, I have moved a total of 13 times.  Oh, the life of a college student.  I'm definitely ready to settle down.

I ordered my textbooks for my upcoming semester of graduate school a couple days ago.  I'm taking a poetry writing course with my favorite professor as well as a film theory course.  And this is my last year!  In May, I will officially have my master's degree in English with a concentration in creative writing.  Now I have to start thinking about my independent writing project for this year.

This past weekend, I was able to make a short trip back to Warsaw.  It turned out to be just what I needed.  I was able to spend time with my entire family.  I had my mom's homemade ice cream, picked fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from my brother's garden, watched the Olympics with my dad, and did some shopping and catching up with my mom.  I even managed to have lunch with my parents and both of my siblings on Monday.  My mom and I talked about plans for my wedding and I found out my aunt has everything squared away for my bridal shower in a few weeks!  Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment