Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Back to School

My winter break started at the beginning of December and officially ended today.  It was a long, much-needed break after the chaos of last semester and I appreciated the extra time off to reconnect with my husband, myself, and the things I love.  (One of the perks of working where you go to school is having a nice, long winter break.  Now what to do over spring break??)  Last semester was filled with remodeling our apartment, moving, planning a wedding, getting married, going on our honeymoon, and teaching two classes, so needless to say, I rarely had the free time to enjoy the little things.

I vowed to make winter break a time of reconnecting with the things I missed out on last semester amongst the craziness of life.  Firstly, our bedroom at our cozy apartment is by far my favorite room at our place.  The orange walls that I picked out, artwork, and bookshelf stocked with my favorite works and authors are just a few of the things that make our bedroom my safe haven.  Many nights during winter break, I escaped to the coziness of our room to read a good book (including the books my hubby got me for Christmas) or flip through a magazine.  If I wasn't in the mood to read, I was in my art studio throwing something together or blogging from the comfort of my bed. 

I definitely needed a break from school.  My brain was overloaded from all of the end-of-the-semester grading and paper writing, but I still managed to take my journal with me everywhere and write whenever I had a spark of inspiration.  Even though winter break was an amazing time for me to be creative and spend time enjoying my husband and the comfort of our home, I was glad to get back to work and school today. 

Teaching went well today and I think I have a great group of students this semester.  (One of my students says she loves Pokemon - what's not to love about that!?)  I am very happy to have teaching experience under my belt going into this semester.  While I was still slightly nervous today (as I always am the first time I get up in front of a class), I felt more prepared and knew exactly what changes to make this semester to make the class's learning experience and my teaching experience go much smoother.

I had my first graduate class of my last semester of graduate school this evening!  It seems like just yesterday that I was applying to various grad schools and now I am a few months away from graduating.  I couldn't be happier.  I keep looking into PhD programs in my free time, but I know the timing isn't right.  I need some time away from school after I graduate.  After all, I've been going full-time since I was five.

It's been a good start to the semester.  I'm married, I'm an experienced teacher, and I'm almost finished with my masters degree.  I feel so blessed.  And I found a great online ASL program and am on my way to learning to sign!  My New Years resolution is underway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment