Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Feels like Going Home

Justin had another grad school class at Bethel this week, so this time I headed back to South Bend with him.  Let me tell ya, this place still feels like home.

I'm loving our time here so far.

We got into town Monday evening and met up with Natalie and Annie for late-night doughnuts at Krispy Kreme.  Natalie and Annie are two very sweet high school juniors who are near and dear to Justin and I.  They were a part of our youth group at our old church here and we were able to be their small group leaders and help mentor them.  We love them and it was great to catch up and see how things are going in their lives.

Tuesday was my 26th birthday!  I took Justin to class and went to some of my favorite South Bend spots (and also looked on in admiration at Notre Dame's campus - never thought I'd miss it).  I met my good friends Jill and Dawn for lunch at McAllister's Deli (LOVE) and we talked and caught up for three hours.  Jill is the leader for the St. Mary's Impact Bible study I was a part of while in South Bend.  That Bible study and the girls I shared life with there are very close to my heart.  They prayed with me every week while Justin was in the interview process for the job he has now in Ohio.  I love them and am so blessed to have them in my life.

After lunch, I went to my FAVORITE antique store in the whole world (Mishawaka Antiques in downtown Mishawaka) and went to a few other places before picking Justin up and starting my birthday celebrations.  We used my birthday coupon for a drink at Biggby Coffee and then headed to Niles, MI, for dinner at Pizza Transit (oh how I miss that place) and a movie at Wonderland Cinema (one of my favorite places in the whole world because of their amazing ticket and snack prices).  We totally saw The SpongeBob Movie:  Sponge Out of Water.  Hey, I may be 26 now, but I will never be too old for SpongeBob!

Today I took Justin to class again and met my good friend Samantha (we went to college and grad school together) for lunch at Scotty's Brewhouse, another one of my favorites.  We had a great time catching up (and I had my gourmet grilled cheese) and then I headed to downtown Niles to hit all of my favorite thrift stores and antique shops (I know, I have an old soul).  I picked Justin up after class and then we went to dinner with my in-laws and my nephew at Hacienda.  They had the staff come out with the birthday song and the sombrero and everything.  I feel loved.

Tomorrow I don't have any big plans, but I'm looking forward to visiting some of the places I've missed since we moved to Ohio.

Things I miss about South Bend:

1)  Notre Dame
2)  McAllister's Deli
3)  Scotty's Brewhouse (but luckily there is one in Fort Wayne which is closer to where I live)
4)  The short drive to Niles, MI (the ANTIQUE SHOPS and the THRIFT STORES and the PIZZA and the CHEAP movie theatre!!)
5)  Knowing every road like the back of my hand and not having to use my Google Maps to get everywhere
6)  Bethel College
7)  The University Park Mall
8)  My friends
9)  Whole Foods
10)  Super Target (they don't have them in Ohio!?)
11)  That feeling of "home"

It was been an amazing week so far.  Justin and I have been in Ohio for about three months now and I was starting to feel a little homesick.  This week is giving me just what I needed - a taste of home and time spent with old friends.

God is good all the time.  All the time God is good.

P.S.
I had another publication this week at Poetry Pacific.  They accepted two of my poems for the upcoming spring issue which will be out May 5th!


No comments:

Post a Comment